|At home in dining room|
Out of the plastic bags for a couple of hours. Since a neighboring cell with a hyacinth bean seed shows a patch of possible mold, I remove the mold with a spoon and lightly mist the entire tray with a solution of fungicide diluted by half. Back into the plastic bags.
Wednesday, March 12, 2014
Mamsprouts does a consult today and suggests that they may become leggy trying to reach for the skylight. With my husband out of town, I “borrow” the Seasonal Affective Disorder ("SAD") light from his office and set up shop with it elevated about 8” above the sprouts where it stays on continuously for the next few days.
Appear to need water again. Obviously getting thirsty more often. It appears that the most important part of watering is sufficient draining afterward. They are continuing to grow and appear healthy.
I cave on the SAD light. I purchase an Ott light at Lowe’s and move the entire operation to a counter in my laundry room with the Ott light and additional filtered light through an adjacent window. I will be out of town for a few days, so before leaving I bottom soak the tray and drain it. I leave a plastic bag lightly draped over the tray the entire time I am gone, trying to keep it off the sprouts themselves with plastic straws.
|Under the Ott light|
Monday, March 31, 2014
Today is transplant day. Mamsprouts has joined me to assist in transplanting the four o'clocks to the 3" containers. After moistening the seed starter mix and sterilizing the 3" containers, we remove and separate the sprouts from the trays. Several sprouts are not quite ready and one has a broken stem, so we returned those to the tray to see if they would respond with more time (I pinched off the broken stem but left the remainder to see if it might come back). The rest went into the individual containers.
|Bottom watering after transplanting to individual containers|
After bottom watering and draining very well on paper towels, I returned them to the laundry room counter and positioned them under the Ott light again. My observation after several hours was that they seemed none the worse for wear from being moved to new containers. For the night, I again turned off the light and loosely draped plastic bags over the sprouts, held above the plants with straws.
Tuesday, April 1, 2014
Checked to see how they survived the night and they appear to be doing just fine. I really think the trick is sufficiently draining after bottom watering. I first drained on a quadruple thickness of paper towel. When that was thoroughly wet, I put a new double layer underneath and drained there until damp. Finally when I moved them back to the laundry room I put a double layer of paper towels on top of the terry towels on which they are resting.
|Still doing well the morning after transplanting|
Monday, April 21, 2014 - Sunday, May 11, 2014
They do not look nearly as hardy in the garden as they did in the trays, but we will see how they do. The straws mark the locations of the plants--and are also reminders to be careful and not accidentally weed the wee little plants!!
Tuesday, May 13, 2014 - Monday, July 21, 2014
This is a period of what I can best describe as benign neglect. The first few days I tried to make sure they were watered. Then, how can I put it, but that life got in the way. There were some periods of lots of rain, but really more very dry periods. The plants a bit more protected from the elements either by location or nearby plants have seemed to fare the best. They must have been hardened off pretty well before transplanting to the garden because all but the most exposed seem to have fared well.
The last picture shows the plant in the most exposed location--on a corner of the garden without protection of nearby plants or the house. It is the only location that seemed to cause a real problem after transplanting. The others are all thriving although none have bloomed yet. They are all pretty leggy, but seem vigorous.
Monday, August 25, 2014
We have blooms!! The only transplants that have bloomed and are robust are located in a northeast facing corner of the garden that is close to the stone wall of the house and close to the stone walkway. My theory is that they have benefited from the heat radiating from the stone and the protection from the wind afforded by the house. They have received intermittent moisture from rain, but no regular watering. Several of the other transplants have survived but are still leggy and without blooms.